Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Introduction

India is growing. and growing fast, and it feels absolutely fabulous to cheer her on. But everytime I go to India , I am overawed by the number of people there who think that India has caught up with the rest of the world and some think India is actually AHEAD of the USA! Of course , most of these people have seen the world only through the eyes of Bollywood, which I must say , is the biggest influencer of Urban India.

My heart is with India and I would love to see changes in it for the good. Hence I can't bring myself to congratulate India for whatever it has achieved so far. Not yet. In fact , it could be too dangerous for India and Indians to think of India having achieved its goals and reached international standards etc ...

At best , India has made a start at development and has decades to go before reaching the levels that America , Western Eaurope and some East Asian countries have reached.

With these series of blogs, I intend to highlight some aspects of India's progress and which areas have scope for growth and improvement. I intend to show this scope as an indicator to anyone attempting to contribute to India's progress. So if you're a social worker, a business man , an NRI wanting to invest in or go back to India , or just a person who has an interest in India , you should find something useful here.

These blogs are not meant to be a criticism of India's development, although the means I adopt is that of showing the gap between other richer countries and India. Since I will only be comparing India to coutries like USA or Singapore, it is but natural that the gap will be huge and India might sound to be an underdeveloped country. However, it is with only this knowledge that we can move ahead . If we close our eyes to these gaps , we can only remain stuck in the sand.

No comments: